top of page

Safe Food for Canadians Licence Required for Importing Food into Canada

Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) issued a notice to industry advising that effective March 15, 2021 a valid SFC licence must be reported in the CBSA SWI IID.

Currently, importers of meat, fish, dairy, eggs, processed eggs, processed fruits or vegetables, honey, maple and fresh fruits or vegetables are required to hold a valid Safe Food for Canadians licence (SFC licence) to import food into Canada.

As of March 15, 2021, food import transactions will automatically be rejected unless a valid SFC licence is entered in the Integrated Import Declaration (IID). If a transaction is rejected, the SFC licence holder may experience delays and have their related food shipment(s) held at the border until the error is addressed and the import transaction is resubmitted.

The information regarding the SFC licence must:

  • be declared correctly, without mistakes or typos

  • cover the activity of "Importing Food"

  • cover the food commodity or commodities you intend to import

For more information on transaction rejections, refer to Validation of Safe Food for Canadians licence to import.

Declaring your SFC licence on import declarations

Follow our tips to ensure that you or your customs broker enter the SFC licence number properly on the import declaration.

There is no fee to amend or update your SFC licence profile. Please review and make any necessary amendments to your SFC licence information using the My CFIA portal.

Please be aware that an SFC licence application or amendment request may take up to 15 business days to process, and can take longer if a pre-licence inspection is required.

Information for non-resident importers

If you are a non-resident importer, you must select "Importing Food" on your licence as well as the food commodity or commodities you intend to import. Do not select "Exporting Food".

The term "export" is not specifically defined in the Safe Food for Canadians Act nor in the Safe Food for Canadians Regulations. In general term, export refers to sending food from Canada to a foreign state.

For more info call us on 1800 610 2161

from Canadian Food Inspection Agency

13 views0 comments


bottom of page